[Rd] R CMD INSTALL warning for S4 replacement functions on R 4.1.0-alpha

Felix Ernst |e||x@gm@ern@t @end|ng |rom out|ook@com
Fri Apr 23 19:01:05 CEST 2021

Hi all,

Since R 4.1, R CMD INSTALL throws warning during building the man pages, when installing from source.

We noticed this first on Windows for man pages involving S4 replacement function:

  *   http://bioconductor.org/checkResults/devel/bioc-LATEST/Modstrings/riesling1-checksrc.html
  *   http://bioconductor.org/checkResults/devel/bioc-LATEST/GenomicAlignments/riesling1-checksrc.html

However, it's also showing up on linux with a slight twist (file not found instead of invalid argument) for other functions:

  *   https://cran.r-project.org/web/checks/check_results_Matrix.html (right at the end)

>From the messages and the involved offending filenames, we hypothesize that this is triggered by invalid filenames specific to the OS.
Please note, that the warning is not issued during R CMD CHECK for a given package.

Can anyone comment on this? Is more information needed? If it is a bug, I am happy to post on the bug tracker.

Thanks for any advice.

Best regards,
Felix

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]