[Rd] Configure script and pango library

Phillips Rogfield thebudget72 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Jun 23 19:23:16 CEST 2021

Dear R developers,

there is a problem if cairo is present but pango is not.

The configure script tells very little about pango, there are two lines in the middle:

	checking whether pkg-config knows about cairo and pango... yes
	checking whether cairo including pango is >= 1.2 and works... yes

But the final recap does NOT tell anything about pango, only about cairo:

	Additional capabilities:     PNG, JPEG, TIFF, NLS, cairo, ICU

The problem is, if cairo is present but pango is not, sometimes we are unable to plot, as R gives the message:

|Path drawing not available for this device See here for more
information: https://stackoverflow.com/a/45717473/1719931 If instead
pango-devel is installed together with cairo-devel, the problem
disappears and we are able to plot. I would request the configure script
to be more explicit on whether pango is also present, by putting it in
the list of "Additional capabilities" if it is present (next to cairo).
So we know whether we will have problems in plotting or not. Best
regards and thanks for your attention. |

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]