[Rd] Possible bug in help file name generation

Iñaki Ucar |uc@r @end|ng |rom |edor@project@org
Thu Jun 24 14:00:01 CEST 2021

Hi,

I noticed that R 4.1 places html files into the packages' help
directory, compared to previous versions, which used an RDS. I found a
possible bug in the code that processes the aliases from the Rd files
and generates the names for these html files (I haven't identified
where this happens though).

To reproduce this, install e.g. the 'caper' package from CRAN and
inspect the help directory. I find the following file:

'pgls.confint'$'\n''.html'

which contains a special character. This comes from the fact that the
file caper/man/pgls.profile.Rd in caper's source code contains a
newline in the corresponding alias:

\name{pgls.profile}
\alias{pgls.profile}
\alias{plot.pgls.profile}