[Rd] Possible x11 window manager window aggregation under one icon?

Mon Mar 22 20:32:54 CET 2021

On Sat, 20 Mar 2021 11:51:41 -0500
Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd using debian.org> wrote:

> R plots however all have one each. Needless to say I may also have
> more than one plot device open...  Would anyone know how we can force
> these to aggregate under just one?

Grouping seems to be achieved by setting the window_group component of
the WM_HINTS property of the window:

https://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.6/doc/xorg-docs/specs/ICCCM/icccm.html#wm_hints_property

ICCCM goes on to say that "The window group leader may be a window that
exists only for that purpose <...> [not] mapped either by the client or
by the window manager".

Is that enough of a direction? I have only ever written X11 code using
xcb, not Xlib, but I could try to help further if needed.

--
Best regards,
Ivan