[Rd] Possible x11 window manager window aggregation under one icon?

Mon Mar 22 20:42:04 CET 2021

On 22/03/2021 3:32 p.m., Ivan Krylov wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Mar 2021 11:51:41 -0500
> Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd using debian.org> wrote:
>
>> R plots however all have one each. Needless to say I may also have
>> more than one plot device open...  Would anyone know how we can force
>> these to aggregate under just one?
>
> Grouping seems to be achieved by setting the window_group component of
> the WM_HINTS property of the window:
>
> https://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.6/doc/xorg-docs/specs/ICCCM/icccm.html#wm_hints_property
>
> ICCCM goes on to say that "The window group leader may be a window that
> exists only for that purpose <...> [not] mapped either by the client or
> by the window manager".
>
> Is that enough of a direction? I have only ever written X11 code using
> xcb, not Xlib, but I could try to help further if needed.

I just did a quick grep of the R-devel sources, and don't see WM_HINTS
used there at all.  (This is after searching rgl sources, with the same
result.)  I'd be happy to add something to rgl if you could point me to
an example:  it also uses Xlib like R, so once that works I could
propose a patch to R.

Duncan Murdoch