[Rd] Possible x11 window manager window aggregation under one icon?

Tue Mar 23 04:23:47 CET 2021

On 22 March 2021 at 16:57, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

| On 23 March 2021 at 00:01, Ivan Krylov wrote:
| | The surrounding code and
| | <https://tronche.com/gui/x/xlib/ICC/client-to-window-manager/wm-hints.html>
| | proved to be enough of an example. The following patch makes it
| | possible to group x11() windows on my PC with Xfce running:
|
| [...]
|
| | Some very limited testing didn't seem to uncover any problems.
|
| Woot woot -- works here too under Ubuntu 20.10 / Gnome / Unity.
|
| I applied the adorably small patch to the usual checkout I keep of r-devel
| (as an incremental build is faster than a full package build of r-release).
|
| You are my hero. Next round of hot or cold beverages is on me. Already looks
| so much better. I may put this into the next 4.0.5 (or 4.1.0 at the latest)
| for Debian and Ubuntu (but will instrument a proper new r-base package and
| hit it for a few days first).

Close, close, close but no cigar yet: For a given R process, x11() windows
group for a that process. But we often run multiple R processes.  Have you
seen anything for grouping under the "program" (in some sense) but not the
concrete process from it?

( If someone wants to play, Ubuntu binaries for groovy == 20.10 are at
  https://launchpad.net/~edd/+archive/ubuntu/misc/?field.series_filter=groovy )

Dirk

--
https://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd using debian.org