[Rd] Possible x11 window manager window aggregation under one icon?

Tue Mar 23 15:55:13 CET 2021

On 23 March 2021 at 09:38, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

| On 23 March 2021 at 17:13, Ivan Krylov wrote:
| | В Tue, 23 Mar 2021 08:58:49 -0500
| | Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd using debian.org> пишет:
| |
| | > I still ship /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/rlogo_icon.png which
| | > is from the 2012 patch, and I vaguely recall the .desktop file being
| | > unhappy without it. Re-creating a 48x48 from the svg may do.
| |
| | I think you could even link /usr/share/R/doc/html/Rlogo.svg
| | into /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/rlogo_icon.svg to let GNOME
| | and others draw an arbitrarily high-resolution icon if the display
| | permits that, but a 48x48 bitmap is still required:
| |
| | https://specifications.freedesktop.org/icon-theme-spec/icon-theme-spec-latest.html#install_icons
|
| Yes, had the same idea earlier and tried it, with the original Rlogo.svg
| copied in there under that name -- but I got an 'empty' icon displayed :-/
| (I had also removed the png "to be sure", your more careful suggests it is
| needed as a fallback.)
|
| When I follow your suggestion to use both it works with new logo (yay) with
| the only minor drawback ... that the white background shows whereas all other
| logos are using transparent background.

Sorry, that was wrong: a leftover from manually installing a new png based on
the svg. So when I have both, the png wins and the svg is seemingly ignored.
So first task would be to create a new (and square !!) 48x48 png from the svg
or higher-res png.

But on a lark, I just went into setting and toggled the icon size from 48
(default) to 36 ... and _voila_ I get a new (no background !!) one drawn
seemingly from the svg.  So the solution appears to be to remove the png.
Will try that later.

Dirk

--
https://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd using debian.org