[Rd] trouble with package loading: Function found when exporting methods from the namespace ‘raster’ which is not S4 generic: ‘all.equal’

Sun Jan 30 19:57:27 CET 2022

On 30/01/2022 1:21 p.m., Patrick Giraudoux wrote:
> Le 30/01/2022 à 19:09, Duncan Murdoch a écrit :
>> Can you reproduce the problem?  If so, please post the recipe for
>> doing so here, e.g. "install x from Github, y from CRAN, ..."  If not,
>> it's unlikely anyone will be able to help.
>>
>> If you don't know how to do it, I'd contact the original reporter, and
>> at least ask the original reporter for sessionInfo() just before and
>> after the error occurs.
>>
>> Duncan Murdoch
>

> OK. Will do my best however the problem has been reported to me by a
> 'lay' user (I do not met it however I tried installing/desinstalling to
> get a reproducible error etc). I will ask her to follow your
> instructions (she is in cc) and help her if I can. She repeatly met her
> on three different computer in her office and home, all Windows. However
> Googling a bit one can see that this problem is not met for the first
> time with other packages
>
> - https://github.com/r-tmap/tmap/issues/621
>
> -
> https://community.rstudio.com/t/error-package-or-namespace-load-failed-for-mapview/126914
>
> I also put Zhian Kamvar in cc, in the case he can report on his own case
>
> Thanks for your concern (and congrats/thanks for all the work done by
> the R core team including yourself).

Neither of those links posted useful information.  They show that it
isn't something specific to Julie's system, but don't really give a hint
about where to look to fix it.  My guess would be some version
dependence between two packages that isn't being declared.  That is,
package A declares that it depends on package B, but in fact it needs a
particular version of B, so people who happen to have the wrong version
installed get the error.

A complication that is Windows-specific is that it is so easy on that
system to have two versions of packages installed:  one in the system
library, one in the user library.  (It's possible on all systems, it
just seems to happen more on Windows.)

Duncan Murdoch