[Rd] tools:: extracting pkg dependencies from DCF

Jan Gorecki j@goreck| @end|ng |rom w|t@edu@p|
Thu Oct 13 23:59:01 CEST 2022

Dear R devs,

I would like to raise a request for a simple helper function.
Utility function to extract package dependencies from DESCRIPTION file.

I do think that tools package is better place, for such a fundamental
functionality, than community packages.

tools pkg seems perfect fit (having already great function write_PACKAGES).

Functionality I am asking for is already in R svn repository since 2016, in
a branch tools4pkgs. Function is called 'packages.dcf'.
Another one 'repos.dcf' would be a good functional complementary to it.

Those two simple helper functions really makes it easier for organizations
to glue together usage of their own R packages repos and CRAN repo in a
smooth way. That could possibly help to offload CRAN from new submissions.

gh mirror link for easy preview:
https://github.com/wch/r-source/blob/tools4pkgs/src/library/tools/R/packages.R#L419

Regards
Jan Gorecki