[Rd] Problem with accessibility in R 4.2.0 and 4.2.1.

Andrew Hart @h@rt @end|ng |rom d|m@uch||e@c|
Thu Sep 22 23:15:54 CEST 2022

	On 22/09/2022 16:42, Toby Hocking wrote:
> Another option is to use https://emacspeak.sourceforge.net/
> <https://emacspeak.sourceforge.net/> (version of emacs editor/ide which
> can speak letters/words/lines -- has a blind maintainer) with
> https://ess.r-project.org/ <https://ess.r-project.org/> (interface for
> editing and running R code from within emacs)

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. Of course, the optimal solution
would be to figure out what is going on in Rgui, but, as is always the
case, the blind user use case is a fairly niche one. I appreciate all
the suggestions for finding an immediate solution to my problem.
I don't use any kind of IDE for working with R since I simply haven't
found one that is accessible or that i understand how to use. There is a
plug-in for the Eclipse IDE I installed a few years ago, but I didn't
understand the first thing about how it was to be used. So I've just
always worked with an editor open in one Window and R in another,
working interactively in R or bouncing over to the editor for more
complex things and sourcing code into R as necessary. However, I only
use the R console in Rgui. I went and had a look at Rterm, which I have
never used on Windows; I've only ever used it when ssh-ing into Linux
systems to use R. However, I've just found out that Rterm does a number
of fairly important things that probably mean I can just use it instead
of Rgui:
1. You can paste from the clipboard into the Rterm prompt;
2. It has a command history;
3. If you plot something, it opens a Window to draw the plot (I never
realised it could do this and had always assumed Rgui was needed for
this); and
4. It opens the HTML help if you ask for help on windows. I only ever
saw it display text help on Linux, but I was logged in remotely.
Text-based help is fine when ssh-ing into a machine, but HTML help is
much nicer to read and navigate.

I think I'll just switch over to Rterm for a while, but I can also check
out ess, which I wasn't aware of.

Thanks a lot,
Andrew.