[Rd] Problem with accessibility in R 4.2.0 and 4.2.1.

Tomas Kalibera tom@@@k@||ber@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sun Sep 25 13:40:44 CEST 2022

On 9/22/22 23:15, Andrew Hart via R-devel wrote:
>     On 22/09/2022 16:42, Toby Hocking wrote:
>> Another option is to use https://emacspeak.sourceforge.net/
>> <https://emacspeak.sourceforge.net/> (version of emacs editor/ide
>> which can speak letters/words/lines -- has a blind maintainer) with
>> https://ess.r-project.org/ <https://ess.r-project.org/> (interface
>> for editing and running R code from within emacs)
>
> Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. Of course, the optimal
> solution would be to figure out what is going on in Rgui, but, as is
> always the case, the blind user use case is a fairly niche one. I
> appreciate all the suggestions for finding an immediate solution to my
> problem.

Hi Andrew,

I am glad to hear that Rterm seems to be working for you, but I would
still like to see if Rgui could be improved to work as well.

I am completely new to screen readers, but I learned that NVDA is free
and open-source and doesn't need any special hardware. So I installed it
on my system.

When I enter something to the current line in Rterm console and navigate
over the typed letters using left/right arrow, NVDA reads the character
at the cursor.

When I enter something to the current line in Rgui console (executed in
the default way), NVDA either doesn't read anything when I navigate over
the typed characters or it reads incorrect characters. Is this a
reproduction of the problem you are reporting? Or, how could I reproduce
the problem you are seeing with NVDA?

Now, for me, even Rgui from R 4.0.5 and R 4.1.3 has the problem: the
characters read are either wrong (usually space and newline), or no
characters are read at all.

Also, I tried building R-devel modified so that Rgui doesn't use UTF-8
as the system/R native encoding. It didn't change anything: NVDA still
can't read the characters when navigating.

Best
Tomas