[R] R or S+ !

Jesús María Frías Celayeta iosu at ensia.inra.fr
Mon Mar 22 16:36:23 CET 1999

Hi!!

	With the hope that is hasn't been suggested already!!

>   Maybe you have already, but: have you told the R-help list (or the
> R-devel list) what your "wish list" for R is?  Specifically, what file
> formats do you need to read, and what don't you like about R graphics?

	I take the challenge!! I am also an "end user" of R. I am starting to
use the R and my opinion about it is quite positive.  I am actually on the
process to learn the tools I was using in another package (Stata) in R, in
order to keep on using the same things than before but under a new
environment that I think is much more open and interesting. I also think that
as I will never use the 100% of an statistical package power, R is the choice
for me if I find there what I need.

	As a user of the system I would enjoy seeing for example of R
performing "against"  some other systems, commertial or free. Seeing R
working out the same examples as some standard statistical packages would
give confidence at the time of choosing between commertial software or R,
eventhough commertial packages results can be questionable as well
sometimes.

	I also suppose that if one of the interests in R can be an
improvement in computational times, benchmarking can be a nice thing. It is a
bit "childish" to amuse the people saying that "our program is faster and
better than yours", but if a good testbed is made then people can take
decisions in those terms. Eventhough R would perform slower than other
programs I think that having that information available would also give a
good marketing and honestity (which is, in my opinion, one of the virtues of
free software), and many people with different needs would be able to make a
decision about whether R was adequate for them or not...

best regards,

IOsu

Jesús María Frías Celayeta
ENSIA-INRA, Av. des Olimpiades, 1