[R] R or S+ !

John Logsdon j.logsdon at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Mar 22 20:19:43 CET 1999

On Mon, 22 Mar 1999, [iso-8859-1] José Ernesto Jardim wrote:

[snip]

> Two weeks ago I've had the chance of bying a license for Splus 5 for
> linux. After some trouble with their representant because of a stupid
> license scheme I've managed to install and work with it. The things I
> needed are know working: I can access different files formats (at lest
> they say so) and the graphs are better. On the other way the program
> it's not so linux integrated as I thougth, it uses emacs or vi styles
> (wich I hate) instead of the updownrightleft keys, it has a strange
> system of files and it's not compatible with the m$win versions (wich
> would allow me to work together with other scientists that use m$win.

Perhaps a better way, if your colleagues are unfortunate enough to have to
work in M$win, is to get VMware.  This sits on a host system (Linux or, if
you have to, NT) and enables one or more virtual machines to be set up,
each completely independent of the other.  It therefore enables you to run
at more or less full speed any i86 operating system - W95, W98, NT, Linux,
FreeBSD, Solaris Intel, DOS, etc (are there any more?).  Thus you could
have NT on Linux or W95 on Linux, different flavours of Linux running all
on the same machine, a few proper DOS machines, a FreeBSD for testing, or
whatever you want.  It sets up a virtual platform sharing all devices as
necessary and is seen as a separate machine with it's own IP number etc
both within the host system and by any external machines that are
permitted to see it.

It is commercial but the price is quite modest and much less than the
difference in prices for W95 and Linux implementations for certain
software such as S+.  Thus you kill two birds for the price of one!

Check out www.vmware.com - beta test and evaluation versions are currently
available.  It is due for launch in May and everyone that has used it says
it works very  well.  I haven't loaded it yet because I have to rearrange
my disk partitions but I will shortly.  Promise!

John

Send "info", "help", or "[un]subscribe"
(in the "body", not the subject !)  To: r-help-request at stat.math.ethz.ch