[R] R/Tk from batch file

David Lucy dlucy at maths.ed.ac.uk
Mon Jan 28 13:24:27 CET 2002

Dear R-help,

Reccently I've been working on sample size estimates for our forensic
scientists and have to make the work accessible to them, preferably
in some Windows based graphical form. The obvious choise was Tk via R,
so I now have a couple of very nice, user friendly front ends for
calculating betas and beta-binomials which run equally well under
Windows and other systems (same code - amazing).

The problem is that the habitual users of windows are going to get
flummoxed firing up R then sourcing the script files, so what I have
been trying to do, without success, is link a batch file to run the
script as a batch without ever seeing the terminal (or gui version in
windows). Problem is running R as a batch disables graphics plotting,
and the toplevel fires up, but then just shuts down again.

Are there any modifying parameters I can pass to R to make it run in the
background with a graphics device enabled? I've done all the usual
searches through the archives and FAQ's etc.

Dave.

**  Dr. David Lucy                                                  **
**  Joseph Bell Centre for Forensic Statistics and Legal Reasoning  **
**  Department of Mathematics and Statistics                        **
**  The University of Edinburgh                                     **
**  James Clerk Maxwell Building                                    **
**  King's Buildings                                                **
**  Mayfield Road                                                   **
**  Edinburgh                                                       **
**  EH9 3JZ                                                         **
**                                                                  **
**  tel: 0131 650 5057                                              **
**  extension: 505057                                               **
**  e-mail: dlucy at maths.ed.ac.uk                                    **
**  Truncated address:                                              **
**  Dr. David Lucy                                                  **
**  Department of Mathematics                                       **
**  JCMB                                                            **
**  King's Buildings                                                **
**  Edinburgh University                                            **
**  Edinburgh                                                       **
**  EH9 3JZ                                                         **