[R] unable to load package RPgSQL

Laurent Faisnel laurent.faisnel at ariase.com
Wed Apr 16 14:46:56 CEST 2003

Hi all,
I'm trying to install an add-on package for R called RPgSQL. Its role
will be to link R with a PostgreSql database. I work on a Linux machine.
However, I'm quite a newbie as far as R's concerned, and I don't manage
to install the package properly.
That's the steps I followed :

    * downloading the package (archive)
    * R CMD INSTALL /path/to/package.tar.gz (as indicated in docs) - at
      that moment I had an error about unspecified directories for
      PostgreSql , so I used the option  --configure-args to specify
      where are the PostgreSql libraries and headers.
    * The installation then seemed to be a success :

R CMD INSTALL /home/faisnel/PostGresSql/RPgSQL_1.0-0.tar.gz
--configure-args='--with-pgsql-libraries=/usr/local/pgsql/lib
--with-pgsql-includes=/usr/local/pgsql/include'
* Installing *source* package 'RPgSQL' ...
creating cache ./config.cache
checking for crypt in -lcrypt... yes
checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E
checking for /usr/include/libpq-fe.h... no
checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E
checking for /usr/include/pgsql/libpq-fe.h... no
checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E
checking for /usr/include/postgresql/libpq-fe.h... no
checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E
checking for /usr/local/include/libpq-fe.h... no
checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E
checking for /usr/local/include/pgsql/libpq-fe.h... no
checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E
checking for /usr/local/include/postgresql/libpq-fe.h... no
checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E
checking for /opt/include/libpq-fe.h... no
checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E
checking for /opt/include/pgsql/libpq-fe.h... no
checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E
checking for /opt/include/postgresql/libpq-fe.h... no
updating cache ./config.cache
creating ./config.status
creating src/Makevars
** libs
gcc -I/usr/lib/R/include -I/usr/local/pgsql/include  -D__NO_MATH_INLINES
-mieee-fp  -fPIC  -O2 -march=i386 -mcpu=i686 -c RPgSQL.c -o RPgSQL.o
gcc -shared -L/usr/local/lib -o RPgSQL.so RPgSQL.o -lcrypt
-L/usr/local/pgsql/lib -lpq
** R
** help
 >>> Building/Updating help pages for package 'RPgSQL'
     Formats: text html latex example
  db.result.get.value               text    html    latex   example
  db.write.table                    text    html    latex   example
  psql                              text    html    latex
  rpgsql.connections                text    html    latex
  rpgsql.execute.query              text    html    latex   example
  rpgsql.input                      text    html    latex   example
  rpgsql.list.contents              text    html    latex   example
  rpgsql.proxy                      text    html    latex   example
  rpgsql.result.attributes          text    html    latex
  rpgsql.type.conversions           text    html    latex   example
  rpgsql.utils                      text    html    latex
  sql.insert                        text    html    latex   example
  sql.select                        text    html    latex   example
  sql.update                        text    html    latex   example
* DONE (RPgSQL)

* DONE (INSTALL)

However, when I try to load the package in R, it's a failure :

 > library(RPgSQL)
Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) :
        unable to load shared library
"/usr/lib/R/library/RPgSQL/libs/RPgSQL.so":
  libpq.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Error in library(RPgSQL) : .First.lib failed

Thank you in advance for any help.

Laurent