[R] unable to load package RPgSQL

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Apr 16 15:46:41 CEST 2003

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 02:46:56PM +0200, Laurent Faisnel wrote:
> I'm trying to install an add-on package for R called RPgSQL. Its role
[...]
>    * The installation then seemed to be a success :

Not exactly as ...

> R CMD INSTALL /home/faisnel/PostGresSql/RPgSQL_1.0-0.tar.gz
> --configure-args='--with-pgsql-libraries=/usr/local/pgsql/lib
> --with-pgsql-includes=/usr/local/pgsql/include'
> * Installing *source* package 'RPgSQL' ...
> creating cache ./config.cache
> checking for crypt in -lcrypt... yes
> checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E
> checking for /usr/include/libpq-fe.h... no
> checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E
> checking for /usr/include/pgsql/libpq-fe.h... no
> checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E
> checking for /usr/include/postgresql/libpq-fe.h... no
> checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E
> checking for /usr/local/include/libpq-fe.h... no
> checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E
> checking for /usr/local/include/pgsql/libpq-fe.h... no
> checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E
> checking for /usr/local/include/postgresql/libpq-fe.h... no
> checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E
> checking for /opt/include/libpq-fe.h... no
> checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E
> checking for /opt/include/pgsql/libpq-fe.h... no
> checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E
> checking for /opt/include/postgresql/libpq-fe.h... no
> updating cache ./config.cache
> creating ./config.status
> creating src/Makevars

... it told you about nine times that a header file is amiss.  I would call
it a bug in RPgSQL that it even progrsses as it will obviously fail later
at the point you noticed.

Bottom line: install the required postgresql header files package, and try
again.

Hth, Dirk

--
Wishful thinking can dominate much of the work of a profession for a decade,
but not indefinitely.   -- Robert Shiller, on Efficient Markets models, 2002