[R] Validation of R

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Thu Apr 17 22:55:08 CEST 2003

>> From: Paul, David A [mailto:paulda at BATTELLE.ORG]

>> For software, our internal standards basically say that
>>
>> (1) COTS (Com'l Off The Shelf software) developed by a
>> company having both a long history of selling high-quality
>> products and good QA doesn't need extensive from-scratch
>> validation, only validation of simpler routines like the
>> computation of means, variances, linear regression models,
>> &etc.  (After all, how would anyone really validate what,
>> say, PROC NLMIXED yields in a complex growth-curve application?)

Too bad that can't be edited just a bit:

(1) OTS (Off the Shelf software) developed by a group having both a
long history of creating high-quality products and good QA which
doesn't need extensive from-scratch validation, only validation of
simpler routines like the computation of means, variances, linear
regression models, etc.  (After all, how would anyone really validate
what, say, nlme(), yields in a complex growth-curve application, other
than one of the originators of one of the families of NLME
algorithms?)

best,
-tony

--
A.J. Rossini rossini at u.washington.edu http://software.biostat.washington.edu/
Biostatistics, U Washington and Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center