[R] help.start in R-1.7.0 with Netscape 7.0.

Rolf Turner rolf at math.unb.ca
Mon Apr 21 14:32:12 CEST 2003

I'm experiencing a new and annoying phenomenon which seems to consist
of an unfortunate interaction between R-1.7.0 and netscape version 7.

When I invoke help.start(), a netscape window duly appears
with the browser pointed at the file .../R/doc/html/index.html
as one would hope and expect.

However if I then ask for help on a function, e.g.

	> help(glm)

the help does NOT get displayed in the existing netscape window.
Instead, up pops a small window asking me to ``Select User
Profile''.  If I click on ``Start Netscape 7.0'' in this small
window, I get a message saying ``Netscape 7.0 cannot use the profile
``rolf'' because it is in use.  Please choose another profile or
create a new one.''

If I do create a new one, and then ask for help on another function,
the same thing happens unless I explicitly close the window in
which the help on glm() is displayed.

OK, I can do that, and keep a ``profile'' around for displaying R
help, but it's an irritation and a slow-down.

Is there a way to tell R or netscape --- I'm not sure which one
I should be talking to --- to display the help in the existing
netscape window, and not keep trying to open new ones under
new ``profiles''?

				cheers,

					Rolf Turner
					rolf at math.unb.ca