[R] help.start in R-1.7.0 with Netscape 7.0.

David Scott d.scott at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Apr 22 00:13:07 CEST 2003

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003, Rolf Turner wrote:

> I'm experiencing a new and annoying phenomenon which seems to consist
> of an unfortunate interaction between R-1.7.0 and netscape version 7.
>
> When I invoke help.start(), a netscape window duly appears
> with the browser pointed at the file .../R/doc/html/index.html
> as one would hope and expect.
>
> However if I then ask for help on a function, e.g.
>
> 	> help(glm)
>
> the help does NOT get displayed in the existing netscape window.
> Instead, up pops a small window asking me to ``Select User
> Profile''.  If I click on ``Start Netscape 7.0'' in this small
> window, I get a message saying ``Netscape 7.0 cannot use the profile
> ``rolf'' because it is in use.  Please choose another profile or
> create a new one.''

I think this is a thoughtful new feature of Netscape---I have encountered
this sort of catch 22 from Netscape on a linux box when I have not been
interacting with R at all. I simply wanted to use Netscape but it said
dscott was in use and I had to create a new user profile. Subsequently I
have to choose from dscott or the new profile I was forced to create.
Possibly if you do create a new profile, you might be able to use rolf on
your use of Netscape for help in R

David Scott

David Scott	Department of Statistics, Tamaki Campus
		The University of Auckland, PB 92019
		Auckland	NEW ZEALAND
Phone: +64 9 373 7599 ext 86830		Fax: +64 9 373 7000
Email:	d.scott at auckland.ac.nz

Graduate Officer, Department of Statistics

Webmaster, New Zealand Statistical Association:
        http://www.stat.auckland.ac.nz/nzsa/