[R] multiv library

Hector L. Ayala-del-Rio ayalahec at msu.edu
Mon Apr 21 20:18:18 CEST 2003

Hi
   I am not sure if this question if appropriate for this forum but here
it goes.
I was trying to do PCA analysis using the multiv library and I realized
that this particular library contains 8 methods of PCA which use
different correlation covariance structures and normalization of the
data.  When I analyze one particular data set with the 8 different
methods I get different results in terms of the graphical display and
percentage of the variance explained.  My question which method is more
appropriate under what circumstances.  If somebody knows a reference
that talks about the 8 different methods mentioned in documentation of
this library please let me know. I am familiar with the differences
between a correlation and a covariance matrix, but not with the other
ones.  If you think that I should post this message in a different
mailing list, please let me know.

Thanks and apologies if there is any information in the archives that I
did not find :-).

Hector

Héctor L. Ayala-del-Río, Ph.D.
Center for Microbial Ecology &
Center for Genomic and Evolutionary Studies
on Microbial Life at Low Temperatures
Michigan State University
545 Plant & Soil Sciences Building
East Lansing, MI 48824-1325