[R] "Missing links": Hmisc and Design docs

Peter Dalgaard BSA p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Thu Apr 24 11:43:51 CEST 2003

(Ted Harding) <Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk> writes:

> Hi folks,
>
> Using R Version 1.6.2  (2003-01-10)
> on    SuSE Linux 7.2,
> I just installed Hmisc_1.5-3.tar.gz and Design_1.1-5.tar.gz
> These were taken from
>    http://hesweb1.med.virginia.edu/biostat/s/library/r
>
> Checked the dependencies:
>
> Hmisc: grid, lattice, mva, acepack -- all already installed
>
> Design: Hmisc, survival -- survival already installed, so
>         installed Hmisc first
>
> All seems to go well till the "help" docs are compiled,
> whereupon I get several reports of "missing links", as below
> (where I omit cases with no such reports). I can't recall
> seeing "missing links" when installing other libraries.
>
> Two questions:
> 1. Have I overlooked something here, which I should have done?
> 2. Do these "missing links" matter?
>
> Or is this simply a manifestation of Frank Harrell's comment, on the
> above site, that "I still have not had time to fix details in the
> documentation that will allow R CMD check to be passed, which would
> allow me to submit the libraries to CRAN."

In general, you get the missing links if there's a reference to
something that isn't there. Sometimes, it means that you need to
install some other package before this one (e.g. with the set of
recommended packages that ship with R we need to build survival before
boot), but in Frank's case, I think a fair proportion of them are due
to S-PLUS references that he hasn't quite ferreted out yet. Certainly,
trellis and nlminb are S-PLUS items that are not in R (it might
actually be an idea to have help pages that said "foo is an S-PLUS
function that is not in R, you probably want to use bar instead";
anyone want to contribute?)