[R] easy question

Ko-Kang Kevin Wang kwan022 at stat.auckland.ac.nz
Tue Apr 29 12:51:57 CEST 2003

Hi,

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, De Amicis Fabrizio (G.I.T.) wrote:

> Dear R.List,
> I am starting to use R. I have an easy question. In a dataset of 15
> variables, I am not able run correctly the index i of the do loop.
> Do you have any suggestion?
>
> NC <- function(x)
>
>     for (i in 1:15) {
>     print(dim(table(dt[,"Vi"])))

Why do you have "Vi" with quotes?  Your counter i isn't used anywhere in
the loop.  I am assuming your dataset of 15 variables is a data frame or
matrix?  Then you'll need dt[, i] instead.  It will read the $i^{th}$
column each time it runs through the loop.

On a side note.  The above function isn't right.  The NC function will
need a variable x, which isn't used anywhere in the function.  You don't
need to put the for() loop into the function at all.  (I'm assuming you
have got a data frame or matrix called dt).

--
Cheers,

Kevin

/* Time is the greatest teacher, unfortunately it kills its students */

--
Ko-Kang Kevin Wang
Master of Science (MSc) Student