[R] R compilation problem on Sun Solaris 2.5.1

Yves Brostaux brostaux.y at fsagx.ac.be
Tue Apr 29 13:11:41 CEST 2003

Dear members,

Sorry for asking the same question again, but I was not able to solve this
since my last post.

I'm not very used with Unix systems, but I got an old Sun/UltraSparc
workstation running Solaris 2.5.1 and I tried to install R on it to able
able to do some batch R processing while working on my pc.

I downloaded and installed following required and recommanded programs
before installing R : perl 5.8.0, readline 4.3, gzip 1.3.5, zlib 1.1.4,
make 3.80, jpeg 6b, libpng 1.2.4 and gcc 3.2.

I downloaded and unpacked R-1.7.0.tgz to /usr/src and ran
 > ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
 > make

During make execution, I get following error :

initializing class and method definition now... done
Error in gzfile (file, "wb"): unable to open connection
In addition: Warning message:
cannot open compressed file 'usr/share/src/R-1.7.0/library/methods/R/all.rda'
Execution halted

Does anybody know what mistake I made ? Thanks in advance,

--
Ir. Yves Brostaux - Statistics and Computer Science Dpt.
Gembloux Agricultural University
E-mail : brostaux.y at fsagx.ac.be
Web : http://www.fsagx.ac.be/si/