[R] shading in image()

Ross Ihaka ihaka at r-project.org
Mon Aug 4 21:52:36 CEST 2003

Barry Rowlingson wrote:
> Ross Ihaka wrote:
>
>> If anyone knows how to Gouraud, Phong or other smooth shading method
>> portably in a vector system I'd be keen to hear about it.
>>

>  Why bloat R with something like that? All we need is a way of linking R
> with Blender and we have a fully-GPL statistics and 3-d rendering
> facility. Blender is scriptable in python, so you could read data files
> from Blender, or possibly one could write an R graphics device that
> produced Blender-compatible data files. Blender
>
>  Eventually you'll be able to walk through your data in 3-d....

Its actually not that big, and it's useful for things other than 3d.
Interpolation could be used for things like gradient colour fills for
plot backgrunds or bars in barplots, drawing light spectra, etc.

I've much about with some of this using existing primitives, and its
quite hard work to get the effects I want.

Ross Ihaka                         Email:  ihaka at r-project.org
The R Project and R Foundation