[R] Programme Maxstat

Torsten Hothorn hothorn at ci.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Aug 12 10:21:15 CEST 2003

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, Ciril Rozman wrote:

> Sirs,
> I have recently been interested in your Maxstat.

For questions related to add-on packages please at least cc to the
maintainer since some might not read r-help regulary.

> I have computed
> with my own programme the ranks (by using the Kaplan-Meier method and
> the
> log-rank test) with the formula (Observed-Expected)/(SQR Var).

The problem is what "SQR Var" really means. The maxstat package uses a
reformulation of the logrank test as a linear rank statistic with special
scores and, more important, uses a conditional variance estimator which is
slightly different from the one implemented in "survdiff", for example.

> The
> results are similar but not exact to the M value obtained with the
> Maxstat. I would like to know whether you are using some correction or
> adjustment in computing the different ranks.

The details can be found in the references cited in the documentation of
the package, especially Hothorn & Lausen, 2003, CSDA, freely available
from

http://www.elseviermathematics.com/mathematicsweb/show/Main.htt?Name=&Source=Journal%2Ehtt&Key=Biostatistics&Results=Journal%2Ehtt&External=mathematicsweb%2F15

Best,

Torsten