[R] Installing R with debian

Colin Gillespie C.Gillespie at newcastle.ac.uk
Tue Aug 12 11:05:46 CEST 2003

Dear All,

I am trying to install R using debian's apt-get system. When I do 'apt-get install r-base', it appears to install everything correctly. However, when I start up R I get the error message:

"
knoppix at Geron007:/knoppix$ R
cannot find system RenvironError in options(...) : invalid editor parameter

R : Copyright 2003, The R Development Core Team
Version 1.7.1  (2003-06-16)
"

The version I get is
>version
         _
platform i386-pc-linux-gnu
arch     i386
os       linux-gnu
system   i386, linux-gnu
status
major    1
minor    7.1
year     2003
month    06
day      16
language R

I've tried (many times) uninstalling R, including other R modules, e.g r-base-core and changing the version that I get via "/etc/apt/sources.list".

Many Thanks

Colin