[R] Installing R with debian

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Aug 12 13:43:25 CEST 2003

Colin,

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 10:05:46AM +0100, Colin Gillespie wrote:
> I am trying to install R using debian's apt-get system. When I do 'apt-get install r-base', it appears to install everything correctly. However, when I start up R I get the error message:

That's how it should work.

> "
> knoppix at Geron007:/knoppix$ R
> cannot find system RenvironError in options(...) : invalid editor parameter

That is unrelated. You seem to have a bad value in one of the startup files.
Try for example

knoppix at Geron007:/knoppix$ R --vanilla

which should work.

> I've tried (many times) uninstalling R, including other R modules, e.g r-base-core and changing the version that I get via "/etc/apt/sources.list".

<self promotion mode>
Have a look at Quantian (http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/quantian.html) which
gives you Knoppix plus R plus some other 400mb of numerical/quantitative
software.
</self promotion mode>

Hth, Dirk

--
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
                                                -- Groucho Marx