[R] Re: Rwave cgt plot time axis problem

Brandon Whitcher bjw34032 at mh.uk.sbphrd.com
Fri Aug 15 12:54:15 CEST 2003

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, zhu wang wrote:

> When I use the function cgt of library Rwave, the time axis of the plot
> is always on the [0,1] scale regardless of the original time. This
> happedn when I tried to reproduce some pictures of "Practical
> Time-Frequency Analysis", e.g. Figure 3.5 and 3.6 using the codes
> provided in the book. But the figures of the book display the real
> sampling time using the same codes. It seems there is no argument for
> the time scale for 'cgt'. Is this a bug or my misunderstanding?

This is the result of how the function was originally written and how
image() deals with its default x and y axis labels.  In R, they default to
[0,1] whereas in S-plus (if I recall correclty) they default to 1:nrow(x)
and 1:ncol(x) for a matrix x.

I have been trying to produce text files for each chapter (using the
examples from the book) with limited success.  That is, some of the
example fail to work.  Luckily, for chapter 3 this doesn't appear to be
the case.  The example is

## Example 3.4 Chirp
## Generate the chirp and compute the Gabor transform between frequencies
## 0 and 0.125 Hz:
x <- 1:512
chirp <- sin(2*pi*(x + 0.002*(x-256)*(x-256))/16)
par(mfrow=c(3,1))
plot(ts(chirp), xaxs="i", xlab="", ylab="")
title("Chirp signal")
cgtchirp <- cgt(chirp, 50, .005, 25)
tmp <- cleanph(cgtchirp, .01)
## The result is displayed in Figure 3.5

This works (at least on my SGI running R 1.6.2) but produces axis labels,
for the two images, of [0,1]x[0,1].

An easy work around, until I implement it myself in a new version of
Rwave, is to rewrite the function (call it mycgt) using

if(plot){
  image(1:newsize, seq(0, nvoice*freqstep/2, length=nvoice),
        Mod(output), xlab = "Time", ylab = "Frequency")
  title("Gabor Transform Modulus")
}

...for the plot statement near the bottom.  It appears to work.  A similar
hack may be performed for cleanph().

Brandon

 Senior Researcher in Imaging                             GlaxoSmithKline
 Research Statistics Unit              New Frontiers Science Park (South)
                                          Third Avenue, Harlow   CM19 5AW
 phone:  +44 (0)127 963 1285                               United Kingdom
 fax:  +44 (0)127 964 4004