[R] automatic logging of commands

David R. Bickel dbickel at mcg.edu
Thu Aug 21 21:29:08 CEST 2003

The piping UNIX command that I just suggested is better than nothing, but
writes backspaces or other invisible characters to the file, sometimes in
place of characters that were visible on the screen.

Some kind of R command that writes everything that appears on the screen to
a file would be better.

David

On 8/21/03 1:52p, "Prof Brian Ripley" <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> All commands are logged in the history file, if your `UNIX' (is that
> really a certified UNIX?) version of R supports history files.
>
> See e.g. ?savehistory.
>
> On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, David R. Bickel wrote:
>
>> Is there an R function that automatically writes all input and output to a
>> file? I would at least like it to log all the commands I enter, and to
>> preferably also write the standard output to the file as well as to the
>> screen. (The ideal would be to write the input to one file and both the
>> input and output to another file.) I tried R2HTML for this, but I could not
>> get it to work consistently.
>>
>> I am using a UNIX version of R:
>>> version
>>          _
>> platform powerpc-apple-darwin6.6
>> arch     powerpc
>> os       darwin6.6
>> system   powerpc, darwin6.6
>> status   Patched
>> major    1
>> minor    7.1
>> year     2003
>> month    06
>> day      21
>> language R

http://www.mcg.edu/research/biostat/bickel.html

David R. Bickel, Assistant Professor
Medical College of Georgia
Office of Biostatistics and Bioinformatics

(706) 721-4697, 721-3785; Fax: 721-6294
dbickel at mcg.edu or bickel at prueba.info