[R] R-help: beginner question

James MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Thu Aug 28 16:50:18 CEST 2003

If you read the data into a data frame, you should be able to simply pass the name of the data frame in a call to boxplot.

my.data <- read.delim("mytext.txt")
boxplot(my.data)

If you only want a boxplot of column 5

boxplot(my.data[,5])

See ?boxplot for other options to make the boxplot look the way you like.

HTH,

Jim

James W. MacDonald
Affymetrix and cDNA Microarray Core
University of Michigan Cancer Center
1500 E. Medical Center Drive
7410 CCGC
Ann Arbor MI 48109
734-647-5623

>>> "Monica Palaseanu-Lovejoy" <monica.palaseanu-lovejoy at stud.man.ac.uk> 08/28/03 09:35AM >>>
Hi,

I am a beginner user of R. I have a trivial question * I am almost
ashamed I cannot figure it out does not matter how many times I
am reading the help.

I have a table in .txt format, tab delimited. I can read it with
'read.delim()' with no problems.

Afterwards I would like to use boxplot function to see if there
are any outliers in the column 5 of my data called TPAH16.ppm

In the boxplot help I saw that I have to declare my data with
'data()'. I am getting errors does not matter how I am calling
'data()', only with the name of the table, with
data(read.delim()), or in any other way. So in the end I was not
able to use boxplot at all.

I will appreciate any help "for dummies" you can give me. Also,
if you know any other way to identify outliers, or to use Cook
dimension to identify them, I will really appreciate.

Thanks,

Monica

Monica Palaseanu-Lovejoy
University of Manchester