[R] search site for R (http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu)

Eric Lecoutre lecoutre at stat.ucl.ac.be
Tue Dec 2 10:34:11 CET 2003

Hi,

I didn't know your search engine. Thank you very much for providing this
tool. As far as I am concerned, I think that something like that was
missing: R is growing so fast that it becomes difficult for the poor human
to know all available facilities. I know many people using SPlus that wont
change to R because they would have difficulties to find equivalent
functions. They dont know the poweR!
It would be very great to have a portal that allows a quick access to all
the available documentation/stuff about R.
For the students here, I also prepared a support page allowing to search
across R functions (R Help Center:
http://www.stat.ucl.ac.be/ISdidactique/Rhelp/).
I created a FileMaker database containing more than 11000 functions (name,
description, library and code). Doing research on the code and having the
possibility to browse it is very usefull. Nervertheless, I dont think I
will have time to update it on a regular basis.
Thus, my suggestion is to add function's code to your search engine. If I
understand well what you use, for that, you will have to generate a flat
file for each function. If you are interestd, I have pieces of code that
could do the stuff.

Eric

At 00:58 2/12/2003, Jonathan Baron wrote:
>My search site, http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu, has had several
>problems recently, all my fault, for which I apologize.  But it
>now seems to be running reliably, on a new computer that is much
>faster than the old one.
>It uses htdig to permit search of the Rhelp mailing list, R
>documents, R functions, and various combinations of these.
>Search has several options, including Boolean search (with AND,
>etc.).
>Suggestions are welcome.
>--
>Jonathan Baron, Professor of Psychology, University of Pennsylvania
>Home page:            http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~baron

L'erreur est certes humaine, mais un vrai désastre
nécessite un ou deux ordinateurs. Citation anonyme
Eric Lecoutre
Informaticien/Statisticien
Institut de Statistique / UCL

TEL (+32)(0)10473050       lecoutre at stat.ucl.ac.be