[R] typeIII SS for lme?

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz at cnio.es
Fri Dec 12 13:54:35 CET 2003

Dear Bill,

You can obtain marginal tests using

anova(your.lme.object, type = "marginal")

(If you are going to compare output, note that marginal tests when using
non-orthogonal contrasts ---SAS and treatment--- might give you unexpected
results, last time I checked).

R.

On Thursday 11 December 2003 19:40, Bill Shipley wrote:
> To avoid angry replies, let me first say that I know that the use of
> Type III sums of squares is controversial, and that some statisticians
> recommend instead that significance be judged using the non-marginal
> terms in the ANOVA.  However, given that type III SS is also demanded by
> some
  is there a function (equivalent to drop1 for lm) to obtain type
> III sums of squares for mixed models using the lme function?
>

> Bill Shipley
>
> Associate Editor, Ecology
>
> North American Editor, Annals of Botany
>
> Département de biologie, Université de Sherbrooke,
>
> Sherbrooke (Québec) J1K 2R1 CANADA
>
> Bill.Shipley at USherbrooke.ca
>
>  <http://callisto.si.usherb.ca:8080/bshipley/>
> http://callisto.si.usherb.ca:8080/bshipley/
>

> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Ramón Díaz-Uriarte
Bioinformatics Unit
Centro Nacional de Investigaciones Oncológicas (CNIO)
(Spanish National Cancer Center)
Melchor Fernández Almagro, 3
28029 Madrid (Spain)
Fax: +-34-91-224-6972