[R] postgres

Joshua Gramlich jgramlich at piocon.com
Tue Feb 11 23:54:27 CET 2003

Right, but you see, I'm not trying to make a connection in R yet, I'm
trying to get the right tools installed.  I have found zero coherent
documentation for any of this stuff.  Yes, there's the import/export
guide, and that's helpful and all but it doesn't tell me what I need to
do with these files:

DBI.RPgSQL_0.1-2.tar.gz
Rdbi_0.1-2.tar.gz
Rdbi.PgSQL_0.1-2.tar.gz

None of these files contains any documentation either.

...now, when I go to

http://rpgsql.sourceforge.net/

There's no documentation there either.  In fact, there's only a message
saying that this project has been deprecated in favor of Rdbi.  If you
click on the download link, you get an error from sourceforge, so you
cannot even get the code through the sourceforge website.  If you go to
the Rdbi page, there isn't anything there either...and on the
sourceforge page the download is for version 0.1.2.

...and that just covers the postgres specific stuff.

As to how RODBC works, I don't know, because I haven't found any
documentation specifically about that either.  Again, there's the
import/export guide, but that's only about how to use it, not how to get
one's system set up to use it.   All I've figured out to do is run
"install.packages("RODBC")"...which begins the installation process, but
because the driver manager apparently isn't set up correctly, it tells
me I must install a driver manager....or "no ODBC driver manager found".

I have unixODBC installed...

Ugh.  I'm giving up on this for today.  I just found out that there is
no odbc rpm for postgres 7.3.1, so i'm gonna have to go back to 7.2.4 to
get that functionality in rpm format...which means blowing out my
database...which means tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help so far folks.

Josh
Chicago