[R] Perl on Windows XP for Rcmd build

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Sat Feb 15 19:54:04 CET 2003

Is there a recommended binary version of perl to use under Windows XP
for `Rcmd build'?  The R FAQ for Windows just mentions "perl".  I
think that Kevin Wang's document on R for Windows suggests ActiveState
perl but I have not been able to install it.

I am running Windows XP Professional on a laptop.  The operating
system was originally Windows 98 then upgraded to Windows ME then to
XP Pro.  I have downloaded the MSI installer version of ActiveState
perl 5.8.0 and tried to install it.  All that happens when I execute
the installer is that I get a command prompt window that exits a few
moments later, apparently with no effect.  I tried this a few times,
rebooted the computer and tried again and still no luck.  I then
removed the 5.8.0 installer and downloaded the ActivePerl-5.6.1.635
MSI installer instead but the same thing happened.

Should I try Apache Perl or some other binary distribution instead?

Douglas Bates                            bates at stat.wisc.edu
Statistics Department                    608/262-2598
University of Wisconsin - Madison        http://www.stat.wisc.edu/~bates/