[R] Perl on Windows XP for Rcmd build

Marc Schwartz mschwartz at medanalytics.com
Sat Feb 15 20:34:03 CET 2003

Doug,

I have ActiveState 5.6 installed on my XP Pro system, having used the
.msi version of the install program.

You might want to be sure that you have all XP updates installed,
which would include the SP1a update.  This is available at
http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/pro/downloads/servicepacks/sp1/defa
ult.asp or you can use IE to go to Windows Update and get any required
updates there.  Mozilla (not surprisingly) will not work there.

There are no updates to my knowledge for XP for the installer program,
though there are for Win9x/NT to upgrade to version 2. It is possible
of course that something has been compromised on your system, given
the OS updates.

Prompted by your e-mail, I just upgraded to 5.8 and had no problem
just double-clicking on the .msi install file.

If you continue to have a problem, you can download the .zip version
of the 5.8 (or 5.6) install file from the ActiveState download page at
http://www.activestate.com/Products/Download/Download.plex?id=ActivePe
rl.  This has a batch install file in the archive.

Hope that might provide some guidance.

Regards,

Marc Schwartz