[R] functions different in R and S

ripley@stats.ox.ac.uk ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Feb 18 21:48:02 CET 2003

new() *is* in R, in package methods. Which is where you would expect, as
it creates a new instance of a formal class.  It is not in many other
implementations of S, however.

Most of the time in S, ! means `not', the same as in R, and system()
exists in S (but not in all version of S-PLUS).

There is a partial list in the R FAQ, but I suspect no one knows all the
differences, and those who know most have probably forgotten a few. You
also have to be very careful what you mean by `S': very few of us have
seen vanilla S, and S-PLUS 6.x is not S, nor is S-PLUS 3.4, nor is S-PLUS
2000 ... and the differences between them are about as large as between
their medoid and R.

There are major differences not in the functions, e.g. scoping rules,
interpretation of formulae: see the R FAQ.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk