[R] Installing R-Excel Interface - Help requested (long)

Herbert_Desson@jltgroup.com Herbert_Desson at jltgroup.com
Thu Jan 9 13:20:03 CET 2003

Dear All,
I have attempted to install the R-Excel Interface with poor results.

The version of R is 1.6.1, the version of R-Excel is 1.0, the version of COM
is 0.99.  All of these were downloaded Monday, 6 January 2003.  R (version
1.6.1) is installed on the machine and appears to run correctly on its own.

The computer is a Compaq Pentium 4 machine with 128 meg of RAM running
Windows 2000 and Excel 2000 (9.0.4402 SR-1).

After installing DCOM and the R-Excel Interface as per the instructions (I
believe), I get one of two errors upon attempting to invoke the R-Excel
interface within Excel.

	1.	If the Rserver box is ticked within Tools / Addins upon
launching Excel, I get  "invalid picture error (error 481)".  If I click OK
within the error dialog box it takes me to
RserverVBAlib (Rserver.xla)
	Modules
		Rinterface

	and highlights the statement:
	Dim My_R As StatConnector

	2.	If I open Excel without the Rserver box ticked within Tools
/ Addins, Excel opens normally, but then when I tick the R Interface box
within Toos / Addins I get "error in loading DLL (error 48)".

The vbtest.exe utility seemed to run correctly after installing DCOM.

Details of all the error messages and the vbtest output can be found below.

I would be most grateful if someone can show me how to make this work
properly.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,
Herb

Herbert G. Desson, ACAS, MAAA

Actuary
Capital Risk Group
JLT Risk Solutions
6 Crutched Friars
London EC3N 2PH

phone:  +44 (0)20 7528 4702
fax:       +44 (0)20 7558 3785

If the Rserver box is ticked within Tools / Addins upon launching Excel, I
get "invalid picture error (error 481)".
Invalid picture (Error 481)

An invalid graphics format was assigned to the Picture property. This error
has the following cause and solution:
	*	You tried to assign a graphics format other than a bitmap,
icon, or Windows metafile to the Picture property of a form or control.
		Ensure that the file you are trying to load into the Picture
property is a valid graphics file supported by Visual Basic.

	If I click OK within the error dialog box it takes me to

RserverVBAlib (Rserver.xla)
	Modules
		Rinterface

and highlights the statement:
	Dim My_R As StatConnector

The entire beginning of Rinterface is below.

Option Base 1

Public Const RExcelVersion = "Version 0.73"

Dim myitem As Object

Dim FlatMenus As Boolean

Dim My_R As StatConnector

	If I open Excel without the Rserver box ticked within Tools /
Addins, Excel opens normally, but then when I tick the R Interface box
within Toos / Addins I get "error in loading DLL (error 48)".

	The entire error message is below.

Error in loading DLL (Error 48)

A dynamic link library (DLL) <JavaScript:hhobj_3.Click()> is a library
specified in the Lib clause of a Declare statement. This error has the
following causes and solutions:
	*	The file isn't DLL-executable.
		If the file is a source-text file, it must be compiled and
linked to DLL executable form.
	*	The file isn't a Microsoft Windows DLL.
		Obtain the Microsoft Windows DLL equivalent of the file.
	*	The file is an early Microsoft Windows DLL that is
incompatible with Microsoft Windows protect mode.
		Obtain an updated version of the DLL.
	*	The DLL references another DLL that isn't present.
		Obtain the referenced DLL and make it available to the other
DLL.
	*	The DLL or one of the referenced DLLs isn't in a directory
specified by your path.
		Move the DLL to a referenced directory or place its current
directory on the path.
For additional information, select the item in question and press F1 (in
Windows) or HELP (on the Macintosh).

Selected sections of the output of the vbatest utility are below.

Initializing R...Done

Server information:
  Name:        COM Statistics Interpreter Interface
and an interpreted language (e.g. R)
  Copyright:   (C) 1999-2001, Thomas Baier
  License:     GNU General Public License version 2 or greater
  Version:     0.99

Connector information:
  Name:        R
  Copyright:   (C) R Development Core Team
  License:     GNU General Public License version 2 or greater
  Version:     1.6.1

Interpreter information:
  Name:        R Statistics Interpreter Connector
  Copyright:   (C) 1999-2001, Thomas Baier
  License:     GNU General Public License version 2 or greater
  Version:     1.0

Testing Evaluate
  creating variable... Done
Testing SetSymbol
  setting integer i1... Done
  setting double r1... Done
  setting string s1... Done
  setting integer array i3... Done
  setting double array r3... Done
  setting string array s3...   setting integer array i5... Done
  setting double array r5... Done
  setting string array s5... Done
Testing GetSymbol
  getting integer i1... Done (4)
  getting double r1... Done (3.14)
  getting string s1... Done (String 1)
  getting integer array i3... Done (5,...,1)
  getting double array r3... Done (1.25,...,6.25)
  getting string array s3... Done (Array1,Array2)
  getting multi-dim integer array i5...
    i6(1,1,1) = 1, should be 1

<Snip>

    i6(3,5,7) = 105, should be 105
Done
  getting multi-dim double array r5...
    r6(1,1,1) = 1,should be 1

<Snip>

    r6(6,3,8) = 2.25,should be 2.25
Done
  getting multi-dim string array s5...
    s6(1,1,1) = 'String 1, 1, 1' ,should be 'String 1, 1, 1'

<Snip>

    s6(3,2,4) = 'String 3, 2, 4' ,should be 'String 3, 2, 4'
Done
Dumping R symbol space

<Snip>

Done
Shutting down R...Done
Releasing StatConnector Server...Done

JLT Risk Solutions Ltd
6 Crutched Friars, London EC3N 2PH. Co Reg No 1536540
Tel: (44) (0)20 7528 4000   Fax: (44) (0)20 7528 4500
http://www.jltgroup.com
Lloyd's Broker.  Regulated by the General Insurance
Standards Council
The content of this e-mail (including any attachments) as
received may not be the same as sent. If you consider that
the content is material to the formation or performance of
a contract or you are otherwise relying upon its accuracy,
you should consider requesting a copy be sent by facsimile
or normal mail.  The information in this e-mail is
confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not
the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately
and then delete this e-mail entirely - you must not retain,
copy, distribute or use this e-mail for any purpose or
disclose any of its content to others.

Opinions, conclusions and other information in this e-mail
that do not relate to the official business of JLT Risk
Solutions Ltd shall be understood as neither given nor
endorsed by it.  Please note we intercept and monitor
incoming / outgoing e-mail and therefore you should neither
expect nor intend any e-mail to be private in nature.

We have checked this e-mail for viruses and other harmful
components and believe but not guarantee it virus-free prior
to leaving our computer system.  However, you should satisfy
yourself that it is free from harmful components, as we do
not accept responsibility for any loss or damage it may
cause to your computer systems.