[R] R-release.diff.gz: "patch detected! Assume -R? [n]"

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue Jan 14 12:22:03 CET 2003

    AgusL> Hi!  I'm upgrading to 1.6.2. (linux suse7.3).  I see
    AgusL> that there is a patch in R-release.diff.gz.

    AgusL> 1. Is this patch stable? In other words, is it
    AgusL> adviced that I install R-release.diff.gz ?

1)
 The diff file is an old "institution" that started long before
 "rsync" and in times with much smaller net bandwidth.
 Working with them may make sense if you have a slow or
 expensive internet connection and/or if you are interested in R
 development on a low level.
2)
 I'm the one responsible for these.
3)
 In principle this file tracks the difference from the last
 released version to the current (non-released!) "R-patched"
 working version.

4) They do NOT contain any changes in the recommended packages.
   ``Hence it is really not the whole story''

As I realize this is not the case currently
(it rather looks like a diff from "1.6.1" or so).
This should be changed soon.

---

Short summary: normal users should use the tar files (if
      compiling from source) or the binary release versions in
      any case!

    AgusL> 2. When I do:

    AgusL> zcat R-release.diff.gz | patch -p1 -E

in which directory?  1.6.2 or 1.6.1 ?
(you can answer privately to me)

    AgusL> I get many lines such as:

    AgusL> patching file AUTHORS Reversed (or previously
    AgusL> applied) patch detected!  Assume -R? [n]

    AgusL> Should I just accept the default answer?

no, don't use that file at all.

Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch>	http://stat.ethz.ch/~maechler/
Seminar fuer Statistik, ETH-Zentrum  LEO C16	Leonhardstr. 27
ETH (Federal Inst. Technology)	8092 Zurich	SWITZERLAND
phone: x-41-1-632-3408		fax: ...-1228			<><