[R] Generating a vector for breaks in a histogram

Mulholland, Tom Tom.Mulholland at health.wa.gov.au
Fri Jul 4 03:04:55 CEST 2003

One of my discoveries while learning the art of R, is that time has
moved on since I did my basic statistics in school (although to my
dismay the teaching of statistics in school appears also to have not
noticed the movement.) I have seen a few references when people want to
pie chart something, for the advice to be "find a better way." I've been
reading some of the ash work (see package of same name and loads of
papers on the web), also some interesting work on dot plots as an
alternative to histograms. They make me feel that unless the data that
you have in both histograms accidentally works well with the same set of
bins you may not get the comparative assessment that you think you are
getting.

I am beginning to form the opinion that in most cases (if not all) there
are better alternatives to histograms.

Tom Mulholland
Senior Policy Officer
WA Country Health Service
189 Royal St, East Perth, WA, 6004

Tel: (08) 9222 4062
e-mail: Tom.Mulholland at health.wa.gov.au

The contents of this e-mail transmission are confidential an...{{dropped}}