[R] Generating a vector for breaks in a histogram

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jul 4 08:43:47 CEST 2003

Things have moved on since the ASH work too, but I would agree that
density estimation is often a better way than histograms.  However, close
to state-of-the-art density estimation is built into R (?density) and
packages `polspline', `KernSmooth' and `sm' are also much more advanced
than `ash'.

It was the advent of enough computing power that changed this, and the S
language has been in the forefront of making the state of the art
available.  You'll see that MASS (the book) covers histograms and
alternatives in its chapter on Univariate Distributions, and it has since
its 1994 first edition (when did you go to `school'?)

One often overlooked alternative is plot ECDFs.

If distributions are not really continuous other techniques may be
appropriate -- such as dotplots.