[R] bootstrapping the lme model

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Mon Jul 14 18:34:42 CEST 2003

	  The real issue is not the distribution of the responses but the
distribution of errors assumed to be additive and normal.  Before I
tried bootstrapping, I'd do other things first:

	  1.  What are the response variable(s)?  What do they look like on a
normal probability plot (qqnorm)?  Might a transformation make the
hypothesis of additive normal errors more plausible?

	  2.  What do the residuals look like in a normal probability plot?

	  I do the simple things first.  If time and money permit and the
problem seems sufficiently important, then I investigate other
alternatives like bootstrapping.

	  Venables and Ripley, Modern Applied Statistics with S, discuss
bootstrapping, as does Frank Harrell, Regression Modeling Strategies.

hope this helps.
spencer graves