[R] Off topic: looking citations on stepwise regression

Andrew Robinson andrewr at uidaho.edu
Mon Jul 21 22:08:19 CEST 2003

I apologize for the off-topic question, but this is the largest and most
responsive statistical community that I've been a part of.

I'm looking for citable references on stepwise regression, specifically those
that cover when stepwise regession is a suitable fitting technique.  Two
reviewers have responded to a manuscript where I fit a small dataset (n = 36)
with a large model (p = 6) suggesting that I should use stepwise regession.
I think it's a bad idea.  Can anyone help me find some ammunition?

Thanks

Andrew
--
Andrew Robinson                      Ph: 208 885 7115
Department of Forest Resources       Fa: 208 885 6226
University of Idaho                  E : andrewr at uidaho.edu
PO Box 441133                        W : http://www.uidaho.edu/~andrewr
Moscow ID 83843                      Or: http://www.biometrics.uidaho.edu
No statement above necessarily represents my employer's opinion.