[R] geoR size limit problem

Miha STAUT mihastaut at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 24 14:17:11 CEST 2003

Hi all,

I tried to produce some kriged surfaces with geoR (latest version). The size
of the grid should be around 900 x 650 cells (what I find is not a very big
grid), and the number of points is around 2500. The command krige.conv
stopped after arround 5 min saying it can not allocate a vector with around
1.5 billion units. Sounds reasonable.

Is there a workaround? How would I partition the map into several smaller
pieces to krige them separately and retain the smooth transitions from one
part to another? Is there a possibility to apply a "mask" to the grid in a
way that it only interpolates the cells of interest?

My machine has 512MB of memory and additional 2000MB of swap.

Thanks in advance, Miha Staut