[R] median and joint distribution

Roger Koenker roger at ysidro.econ.uiuc.edu
Thu Jul 24 14:42:05 CEST 2003

For distribution functions F and G we have the (Frechet) bounds:

	max{0, F(x)+G(y) -1} <= H(x,y) <= min{F(x),F(y)}

where H is the joint df of (X,Y) having marginals F and G.  If
X and Y are comonotonic (Schmeidler (Econometrica, 1989)), that is
if there is a random variable Z, such that X = f(Z), and Y=g(Z)
for monotone f and g, then the upper Frechet bound holds and the
quantile function of X+Y is the sum of the quantile functions of
X and Y.  For "multiplicative linkage" take logs, presuming, of
course, that I'm not misinterpreting this phrase.  One can think
of comonotone X and Y as "perfectly concordant" in the language
of rank correlation.

url:	www.econ.uiuc.edu/~roger/my.html	Roger Koenker
email	rkoenker at uiuc.edu			Department of Economics
vox: 	217-333-4558				University of Illinois
fax:   	217-244-6678				Champaign, IL 61820