[R] median and joint distribution

Hotz, T. th50 at leicester.ac.uk
Thu Jul 24 14:42:42 CEST 2003

Dear Salvatore,

Assuming that you mean "convolution" when you write
"additive linkage", the answer is that there is no general
answer. It will depend heavily on the joint distribution
of the two random variables.

Just to give a simple example, let X~f, Y~g, and
P(X=0.4)=P(Y=0.4)=1. Then, X and Y are independent, their
medians are <0.5, but there sum has a median >0.5.

Its different for "multiplicative", since in general from
X~f, Y~f, P(X>=0.5)<=0.5, and P(Y>=0.5)<=0.5 it follows
that P(XY>=0.5) <= P(X>=p or Y>=q) if p*q=0.5. Thus, if there
are numbers p and q with that property, such that
P(X>=p) + P(Y>=q) <= 0.5, then the median of XY will be <=0.5.

You might argue that there is a relationship between additive
and multiplicative scale through a log-transformation (note that
the median is stable under monotone transformations). However,
I assume there is no obvious formulation of the above statement
on the additive scale.

There is no way of carrying convolutions out in R directly; you'd
need to do numerical integration to do that, e.g. using
integrate().

HTH

Thomas

---

Thomas Hotz
Research Associate in Medical Statistics
University of Leicester
United Kingdom

Department of Epidemiology and Public Health
22-28 Princess Road West
Leicester
LE1 6TP
Tel +44 116 252-5410