[R] R won't connect to the internet on Linux!

michael watson (IAH-C) michael.watson at bbsrc.ac.uk
Thu Jul 24 15:16:26 CEST 2003

Hello Professor

If you are suggesting that I am simply missing the "http://" part of my cache URL, or that I am missing a trailing "/", then I pre-empted this response and it still doesn't work.

I have tried setting both http_proxy and HTTP_PROXY to all of:

wwwcache.bbsrc.ac.uk:8080
http://wwwcache.bbsrc.ac.uk:8080
wwwcache.bbsrc.ac.uk:8080/
http://wwwcache.bbsrc.ac.uk:8080/

and I still get the same response - R cannot open the URL.

And yes, that is thw right proxy address, I copied it straight from Netscape on the same computer, and Netscape connects to the internet fine.

Thanks
Mick