[R] Ideas for remote collaboration on statistical analyses

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Mon Jul 28 19:04:32 CEST 2003

Jonathan Baron <baron at psych.upenn.edu> writes:

> On 07/28/03 12:12, Frank E Harrell Jr wrote:
>>I would like to also have a way to collaborate
>>with remote clients using a phone and a web server.
>
> One idea - which I have yet to convince any of my many remote
> collaborators to try - is to use Vnc to allow you and the
> client/collaborator to view the same R session at the same time.
> It isn't a web server, but it is almost as easy to use.  You can
> talk on the phone and discuss what you're doing.  Vnc can, in
> principle, allow both of you to enter commands on the same screen
> (although I've never tried this because I've never gotten that
> far).  It is cross platform.  It requires a high-speed connection
> to be useful.

I've used the netmeeting approach, very similar, but it suffered from
"screen drag" and slow connections.

I would think that a Wiki that would let you evaluate R code might be
a bit hazardous.  I'm assuming standard/high security precautions so
that you don't have to worry about external attacks or DOS, but the
concern would be typing things unintentionally or that get partially
hidden (html comments that the R code sees, for example), with
unintended circumstances resulting.

best,
-tony

A.J. Rossini  /  rossini at u.washington.edu  /  rossini at scharp.org
http://software.biostat.washington.edu/ UNTIL IT MOVES IN JULY.
Biomedical and Health Informatics, University of Washington
Biostatistics, HVTN/SCHARP, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center.
FHCRC: 206-667-7025 (fax=4812)|Voicemail is pretty sketchy/use Email

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachme...{{dropped}}