[R] Very slow startup on Win32

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon Jun 2 23:29:57 CEST 2003

On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 05:08:50PM -0400, Lowden, James K wrote:
> The machine is behind a firewall with an http proxy, and I haven't found out how (if possible) to tell R about it.  Does that matter at startup time?
>
> Trying to add a package yields:
>
> > local({a <- CRAN.packages()
> + install.packages(select.list(a[,1],,TRUE), .libPaths()[1], available=a)})
> trying URL `http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/1.7/PACKAGES'
> unable to connect to 'cran.r-project.org' on port 80.
> Error in download.file(url = paste(contriburl, "PACKAGES", sep = "/"),  :
>         cannot open URL `http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/1.7/PACKAGES'
>
> even though that URL works fine in IE.  I understand I should be able to use Rcmd to install packages, but its perl scripts appear to be missing:

Ther error fairly obvious: cannot open URL, and you even state that your
proxied.

> What to do?

Search the mailing list archives, this gets discussed at least once a month.
There are two options, one invoing the internet2.dll, the other involving
wget. You get to pick one.

Hth, Dirk

--
Don't drink and derive. Alcohol and analysis don't mix.