[R] A vector or matrix response

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Fri Jun 27 17:10:23 CEST 2003

Are you familiar with :
@article{box,:hunt:1962,
     Author = {Box, G. E. P. and Hunter, William G.},
     Title = {A Useful Method for Model-building},
     Year = 1962,
     Journal = {Technometrics},
     Volume = 4,
     Pages = {301--318},
     Keywords = {Adaptive modeling; Empirical model; Kinetic model;
               Nonlinear}

	  I'll consider a vector response, because that is easier, but you can
generalize to matrix.

	  I would start with various kinds of plots of the response vs.
different poistions in the vector.  With a 2 x 2 experiment and more
than 4 runs, I would make 4 such plots, one for each set of conditions.

	  Box and Hunter then suggest to model each line (vector or matrix)
separately.  This will reduce the dimensionality of the problem to
something more managable with traditional techniques.

howe this helps.  spencer graves