[R] ESS+R not closing gracefully

Damon Wischik djw1005 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Mar 3 18:32:02 CET 2003

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk wrote:
> I think it is a Windows/Emacs issue.  That example works perfectly with
> Rterm --ess in a shell.  Some debugging shows that Rterm calls
> exit(status) and then fails to shut down.  So it is hanging in the C
> shutdown routines.  My guess is that as Emacs still has the file handles
> open it is using to communicate with Rterm, it is fighting with Windows to
> stop them being closed.
>
> Not an R-help issue.

In case anyone (who doesn't read the ESS mailing list) is interested:  I
contacted the ESS mailing list, and was given the following disheartening
information.

Damon.

Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 06:25:11 -0800
From: "A.J. Rossini" <rossini at blindglobe.net>

It's an Emacs/Windows thing, that either R can fix or Emacs can fix.

1. The R folks don't have time right now,
2. we could talk to the Emacs folks,
3. it's not an ESS problem per say, but an ESS issue, since we
   leverage both R and Emacs.

conclusion -- it probably won't get fixed anytime soon, until someone
does some gory debugging of Emacs and R under Windows to understand
why/how file refs are staying open.  Sorry.

best,
-tony